New Pokemon Go Safari Zone events are being planned for 2020 alongside some popular returning venues. Niantic broke the news today, revealing its plans to host new events in locations like Liverpool in the UK, and St. Louis in the United States. And it won’t just be Pokemon fans who enjoy new chances of joining in the fun, with Ingress and Wizards Unite also being supported with new events.
These new interactive experiences will be unique to each game and will be hosted in all-new locations around the world.
According to Niantic, Liverpool, Philadelphia and St. Louis were hand-picked following their submission to #NianticLive2020 which invited cities and local governments around the world to apply to host large-scale real-world game events in 2020.
Niantic’s initial lineup of 2020 live events is also expected to include places like Chicago, which became the first major Pokemon Go live event in 2017.
The new lineup for Pokemon Go in 2020 includes:
Taiwan Lantern Festival in Taichung – February 6-9
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone St. Louis – March 27-29 – Tickets will go live starting January 24 at 8:00 AM CT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Liverpool – April 17-19 – Tickets will go on sale starting January 31 at 8:00 AM GMT
- Pokémon GO Safari Zone Philadelphia – May 8-10 – More information about tickets will be announced soon.
“Over the last 7 years, live, real-world events have been central to Niantic’s goal in leveraging technology to create interactive experiences that foster exploration and discovery, active and healthy lifestyles and lasting friendships,” said Michael Steranka, Senior Manager, Live Events at Niantic.
“Niantic’s large-scale real-world events have had a true and clear positive economic impact on tourism, bringing people from around the world together for a weekend of adventure.
“We were incredibly impressed by the number and quality of entries in the #NianticLive2020 program and, as a result, are excited to announce the addition of Liverpool, Philadelphia, and St. Louis to our live events schedule in 2020.”
Niantic has also been quick to highlight the positive benefits these live events have had on the cities that host them.
According to the company, an estimated $249 million in tourism revenue was generated across locations like Chicago, Montréal, and Dortmund in 2019.
“The events, Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Chicago, Pokémon GO Fest 2019 Dortmund and Pokémon GO Safari Zone Montréal, saw substantial attendance, significant distance walked and an increase of tourism in addition to other notable economic impacts during each event,” a statement from Niantic adds.
Information for the new Wizards United and Ingress events can be found below, although there isn’t much available yet for Harry Potter fans:
Harry Potter: Wizards Unite
- Witches and Wizards can look forward to joining the second Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Fan Festival later this year. Additional details on the event will be announced soon.
Agents around the world will be able to experience an all-new live event structure in Ingress taking place throughout the first-half of the year and across the globe including:
- Perpetua Hexathlon – February 29
- Asia-Pacific Region: Christchurch, New Zealand; Adelaide, Australia; Naha, Okinawa, Japan; Bengalaru, India; Chiang Mai, Thailand
- Europe: Porto, Portugal; Milan, Italy; Lille, France; Bratislava, Slovakia; Ruse, Bulgaria
- Americas: San Antonio, Texas; Salt Lake City, Utah; Miami, Florida; Buenos Aires, Argentina; Tijuana, Mexico
- Lexicon Hexathlon – April 25
- Asia-Pacific Region: Colombo, Sri Lanka; Taichung City, Taiwan; Bogor, Indonesia; Baguio City, Philippines; Songpa District, Seoul, Korea
- Europe: Moscow, Russia; Edinburgh, Scotland; Pilsen, Czechia; Budapest, Hungary; Valencia, Spain
- Americas: San Francisco, California; Washington, D.C.; Minneapolis, Minnesota; Victoria, BC, Canada; Campinas, São Paulo, Brazil
- Requiem Anomaly Munich – May 9